What is an NIE number?
An NIE number (Número de Identificación de Extranjero) is an identification number for a foreign person living in Spain who is not a Spanish citizen.
The official website of the Spanish Ministry of the Interior describes the NIE number as follows:
“Foreigners that, for their economic, social or professional interests, become associated to Spain, will be given, for identification purposes, a personal exclusive number unique to the individual.”
“The NIE number will be the identifier of foreign people, which must appear on all documents issued or processed on them, as well as the measures which are affixed in their passport or identity card.”
Simply put, it is an identification number that will be assigned to you for legal purposes, but only if you are not a Spanish citizen.
Where do I get an NIE number?
There are two places where you can obtain an NIE number:
- Spanish National Police stations that are assigned to issue NIE numbers. This means that not every single National Police station will offer this service.
- Spanish embassy located in your country.
The NIE number must be requested:
- In person.
- Through a legal authorised person (power of attorney).
Would you like us to apply for your NIE number on your behalf? Contact us via the form provided below.
Depending on where you apply, the requirements may vary. This may happen from region to region, or between different police stations within the same region. Generally, the requirements are an official application form, official identification and a small fee.
If you would like us to help you to obtain your NIE, there are three ways in which we can assist you:
- In person, accompanying you.
- Through Power of Attorney
- Through our Legal Package service.
For points 2 a 3 you won’t need to be present. We’ll handle everything on your behalf!
Why do I need an NIE number?
Obtaining a NIE number is a must for the following legal procedures/activities in Spain:
- Paying taxes
- To register a business
- Buying/selling a car
- Buying/selling a property
- Other legal economic activities.
Important information about the NIE
- The NIE number on its own is not valid identification. Use it alongside your photographic identification such as a passport.
- The NIE number and the Spanish residency are different documents. Many people tend to confuse them.
- If you apply for your Spanish residency, and you have not got an NIE number before, the police will generate a new NIE number which will be printed on the front part of the Spanish residency.
- Some banks may require an NIE number to open a bank account.
Contact us now to speak to our professional lawyers about your particular situation and to arrange a free consultation.
Call now: (0034) 965 32 11 93 or simply fill in the form provided.